Why I dislike the Education System! ♡

Hey everyone,

Before we start, just quickly. I have just set up a Pinterest, still not exactly sure how it works but trying to use it in connection with my blog. It would mean a lot if you could give it a follow and pin a photo or two from all my blog posts from now on if you fancy or if you enjoyed reading. Thanks so much!

My Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/everythingeden31/

Today’s post is probably going to be one of the most controversial ones I have ever done. So before I tell you what it is about, just a DISCLAIMER: I am in no means trying to offend anyone or make anyone feel bad or uncomfortable, we are lucky that we can all have our own opinions on things and difference is good. I am just stating my opinion, it doesn’t mean mine is right or yours is wrong, it is just what we believe.

Today’s post is going to be about why I dislike the education system here in the UK. As a student for over 10 years, I have now made my opinions and beliefs. I am going to be sharing them with you today. I am going to try my hardest to write thus post in the nicest way possible and I hope you do enjoy learning what I think. Also, please leave your opinions on the education system below as I would love to read them.

School isn’t about learning anymore, it’s about passing

I have actually seen this quote floating around Facebook for quite a few months now, I even think I shared it because to me, I felt like it related a lot.I have always enjoyed the part of school that is learning, the educating bit, but that isn’t actually what’s important anymore. Actually revising and being able to pass the exams is what they all care about now. As if a few letters on a piece of paper can define someone or their intelligence. I feel like it is SO important for everyone to pass, for the school to get good grades so that they can keep their good reputation so that parents will send their kids there. So the school tend to focus on the smart kids trying to push them to get their best and encourage them to stay at 6th form to give them good A levels and then apply to the Russell Group Universities because it still reflects really well on the school. Whereas, I believe in school LEARNING should be the most important thing, no question about it, I enjoyed learning so much in primary school and still do but sometimes I can’t put that into the exams and tests that I do and it’s not fair. All teachers talk about is exams, I want to learn as much as possible and get a good job and work hard but learning needs to be valued as much as passing is.

Exams don’t work for everyone

As I have mentioned in lots of previous posts, we are all different and unique, we all have different strengths and weaknesses. So for me, how does one exam suit everyone, how is that fair? Not everyone can be moulded like robots to fit expected exam criteria. From my personal experience, my brother is going into Year 8 now and he struggles to concentrate and not get distracted and he doesn’t really enjoy school, I am so worried when he comes to do hsi exams, because he can’t help that he might end up  getting distracted from revision and his brain might not keep on track and he can’t help this, yet he has no choice but to take the exams, even though they don’t fit for him. He is so smart, sometimes he really surprises you but he can’t put it down on paper and that’s okay. He does do well in his tests, but this is only tiny bits of information and writing, he does better in Maths and Physics because he doesn’t have to write so much because he struggles putting stuff down on paper. So, exams in my opinion, really need to be reviewed and changed, so that there is something to suit everyone. It is 2018 after all, why don’t we have a more updated system?

Schools don’t do enough to deal with issues

School doesn’t just involve learning and revising, there are also deeper issues that schools always say they seal with, but actually when it comes down to it. I find they would rather brush it off and pretend it doesn’t exist. When actually there is a lot that goes on in school and in home life, bullying, mental health etc. From my personal experience, schools need to be more open about the support network they have for us kids and also be there for you when no one else is and help us. There is so much more to someone’s life than what meets the eye and we have a lot more to balance and cope with than just exams and sleep and sometimes it gets too much to be able to balance. It particularly annoys me because they say they will deal with all the issues but when they see stuff happening, they just let it and don’t do anything to stop it. They need to put words into actions and make the whole school life better for every child that passes through.

Okay, so from reading this you might think I hate school, I am sorry if it comes across that way because actually I don’t hate school. I just think that things are outdated and need to change and that schools need to raise awareness for different issues and offer more support. Life isn’t easy for anyone and school should be a safe, happy place for everyone to be, whatever skills, friends or life you have. This post is also just written from my own personal experience, everyone’s is different. I do really love to learn but I want school to aid it, not deflate it. I just think, I have fallen out of love with school itself, that’s why I need a change, so hopefully college can be that for me if I get in.

Thanks so much for reading this post, leave your opinions below, any negative comments will be deleted as I am only stating what I believe from personal experience, I am not trying to hurt or offend anyone.

See you next week!

Love,

Eden xx

10 Comments

1. Beth
    September 14, 2018 / 11:35 am

Just followed you on pinterest! It’s the main way I get traffic to my blog so hopefully it’ll work for you too! I love this post and totally agree, schools only care about the grades and it’s not about learning what you’re interested in or giving you a rounded education, it’s all just focused on getting top results that look good for the school

Beth x | https://bethrebecca.com/

• everythingedenblogs
      Author
      September 14, 2018 / 3:28 pm

Thanks so much and thanks so much for your response it means a lot. X

2. Steven Parker
    September 14, 2018 / 6:57 pm

Hello Eden,
    My name is steven and I live in north Wales. I do see your issues but unfortunately, I must disagree. So I understand what you say about exams but what other ways do you suggest? It’s not like the school house a thousand children to concentrate individually on. schools these days don’t have much funding, most funding goes towards stuff that it shouldn’t be spent on. As an A-Level politics student, I can tell you that millions of great British pounds get wasted every month on stuff the British government shouldn’t pay out. So that’s, why we can’t, change the educational system. As it will cost a lot of money and it’s not effective, exams have been successful for hundreds of years and it is an effective way of measuring intelligence. If there was another way to measure intelligence we could do that but exams are an effective method to compare whos good and whos not because for someone whos not good at science isnt going to pass the test because they wont understand the fundamentals of science.

When you mention the bullying i understand but the role of the school isn’t to baby sit. As a school everyone should respect eachother so that teachers don’t need to waste there time baby sitting and actually get on with the lesson. If anything bullies should get permanently removed for school and wouldn’t have an opportunity to join another school and finish there education, this is a good way to solve the bullying generation today as people wont risk being horrible. As sixth form student, I haven’t seen anyone bully anyone else the main reasons why is because they’re scared of me beating bullies up and they are too scared to loose their space in their sixth form as try understand it’s their final stage of education without needing to pay.

So with the Russel Groups, people shouldn’t feel like they need to be a part of it Russel Groups mean nothing and they are only for people who believe they’re better than everyone else. What i strongly believe is that everyone can be the same as everyone else but in different aspects. If someone is bad at a subject at something and take time to revise it to do well they will pass which is a further reason why I believe sitting exams is a good and beneficial way to measure one’s intelligence, for example, someone who passes IT won’t be able to program software websites and games its just opening the shutters and that’s what GCSEs are about. This website doesn’t count because its WordPress and don’t need any prior or advanced knowledge.

I believe in your blog post about your results you said your grades dont define you and i believe in the blog post you have contradicted your points and I believe that its confusing to us readers how your views have changed so much in such a short time.

Thank you for doing these blogs, have been reading them for a while and I now will be commenting on them more. I really do enjoy seeing other peoples opinions and I hope you enjoy year 11 and the future of your education

• everythingedenblogs
      Author
      September 14, 2018 / 7:20 pm

Hi, thanks for your response. It’s really great to hear lots of different opinions. My views haven’t changed, grades don’t define you, exams don’t matter and people shouldn’t be made to sit exams that don’t work for them that has always been my opinion and I’m sorry if it looks like I’m contradicting my views or they have changed because they haven’t. Thanks

• September 15, 2018 / 10:15 am

I totally agree that schools do not get the funding they deserve because as a student myself, I have also learnt where the money is mainly going. However, I disagree on your point about exams being a way of testeming students. There use to be controlled assessments that determined a percentage of your grade for each subject. This enabled students to have a form of stability because they do not work well under time pressure. I do understand that exams teach us how to use time management but, this is not effective due to it causing mental health. I am one of those students that do better on controlled assessments because you are in a more relaxed environment instead of an exam hall where you forget everything because of the fear of failing an exam.

Exams don’t determine what you are good at. We are force fed information, just to vomit it out onto the exam paper. Now that the knowledge is out of our system, we barely remember anything.

Bullying is a factor of certain students not doing well, even for the bully themselves. Despite that, abolishing bullies isn’t the way forward of fixing the problem. Doing this will cause problems such as increasing the gap between the poor and the rich due to a significant amount of people being excluded. Bullies are mainly from troubled backgrounds which make them into bullying other children that make them jealous. Instead, children should be nurtured and be given them the help to realise bullying is wrong.

I honestly could be here all day talking about this😂😂 But here is a video that might make you understand our point of views: https://youtu.be/dqTTojTija8

Thank you Eden for writing such a great post! I couldn’t have agreed with you more xx

• everythingedenblogs
        Author
        September 15, 2018 / 11:22 am

Thanks for your comment Najida, it is lovely to hear your response xx

3. September 23, 2018 / 7:40 am

I actually really agree with this post!! I think school has become more about passing than learning which is quite sad. Personally I’m okay in exams but I have a couple of friends who hate exams and can’t cope very well in them so exams definitely don’t work for everyone xx

• everythingedenblogs
      Author
      September 23, 2018 / 8:53 am

Thanks so much for your response xx

4. October 4, 2018 / 3:29 am

Couldn’t agree more. Here in India since we follow the same derivative of the UK education system, its no different. Its been more about passing and getting more percentages. Learning has lost its value and everyone is in race to get more numbers. Schools, tutions and what not have just becoming cash cows.